It encompasses a broad range of technologies that aim to reduce negative environmental impact and to improve the efficiency of resource use.
Green technology is more than just the use of solar panels and wind turbines. It also includes innovations in agriculture that can feed a growing global population — while saving energy — and more efficient solutions for heat and light, such as LED lighting and hybrid cars.
Although these technologies will play an important role in dealing with climate change, some experts say that the most important step we can take is to change the way we think about the environment and our relationship with it.
“The biggest challenge for green technology is changing people’s behavior,” said Dr. Katherine Richardson, a professor at Copenhagen University in Denmark. “It’s not about the technology; it’s about people.”
Richardson suggests that we need to change how we think about the environment. For example, she said, “We all know that it makes sense not to litter in our backyards; but when you go on vacation to the mountains and find your hotel room littered with disposable water bottles, it’s easy to throw them in the bin with the rest of the garbage.”
The challenge is for consumers and businesses to make green behavior a habit. “That takes time and effort and it’s an uphill struggle,” Richardson said.
But change isn’t easy or cheap, and it won’t happen overnight. “We’re talking about a wholesale transformation of the way we live and how we produce energy,” Richardson said.
Many experts believe that green technology can provide the answer to our growing energy needs while also protecting the environment. By making small changes in our everyday behavior, we can all help to make this vision a reality.
– You’ll be doing your part to help the environment.
– Your energy bills will go down.
– Be a part of something big and meaningful.
– Feel good about yourself for making such an important change in the world.
– Enjoy the satisfaction of knowing that you’re helping to make the world a better place.
– Take pride in being a “green” consumer.
– Connect with like-minded people who share your values.
As more and more people adopt green technologies, the cost of these technologies will continue to decline. This is good news because it means that more people will be able to take advantage of the benefits that green technology has to offer.
So what can you do to help? Here are a few simple suggestions:
– Switch to LED light bulbs.
– Replace your air filter.
– Use a programmable thermostat.
– Install a solar hot water system.
– Wash clothes in cold water.
– Carpool to work.
– Turn off lights when they’re not needed.
– Unplug appliances when you’re not using them.
We all know that it makes sense not to litter in our backyards; but when you go on vacation to the mountains and find your hotel room littered with disposable water bottles, it’s easy to throw them in the bin with the rest of the garbage.